Saturday, January 2, 2010

Adventures from Jane's kitchen

Nothing fancy today, but I felt like sharing some pictures from today's baking. I had some squooshy bananas that I could bear to let go to waste, so I decided to make banana bread. I have yet to find a really good reliable banana bread recipe, so feel free to share yours if you have one. I haven't tasted this one yet, as I'm saving it for when my sister and her beau come around for afternoon tea. It's really, really easy to make though.

Anyway.

Mash up four ripe bananas and add an egg, 1/3 cup oil and a teaspoon of vanilla essence (or half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, which I always use.) The recipe says to do them separately but I don't see why.


Try not to trip over the baby who is playing with bits and bobs on the floor.



Put 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/3 cup caster sugar in another large bowl. Mix them together. I never bother sifting anything and I don't think it makes any appreciable difference.

Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and mix with a spoon until just combined.



Put the batter in a loaf pan lined with silicon paper. This way you don't have to grease anything! Then put it in the oven for 50 minutes or so at 180 degrees (which is about 350 F).



Let it sit for a few minutes before turning onto a rack to cool.



While I had the oven on, Beloved decided to use the opportunity to bake some bread. We have a big tub of multigrain bread flour we dip into when we can be bothered. We used to bake our own bread all the time but it has fallen by the wayside.

Kneading.


Proving.

Proven!

Proving second time in the tin. We bought professional bakers' tins for our bread, and they are worth the investment.



Baked!

No comments: